« SeaMonkey 1.0 Alpha Release Candidates Available | Main | Logo contest closing next week »

September 15, 2005

SeaMonkey 1.0 Alpha Released

SeaMonkey 1.0 Alpha has been released. Compared to Mozilla 1.7, SeaMonkey contains many new features, bugfixes, and performance improvements. It's based on Gecko 1.8b4 (the engine behind Firefox 1.5b1, though SeaMonkey includes an extra security fix). We're still looking for a logo - none of the current artwork is official, so be sure to submit yours!

Some new features of interest: SVG support, <canvas> support, fast back and forward navigation, new error pages (instead of dialogs), notification when downloads finish, phishing protection, inline spellchecking, roaming profiles, and JavaScript 1.6. More info is available in the release notes.

SeaMonkey consists of a state-of-the-art web browser, a powerful mail and news client, a WYSIWYG HTML editor, and an IRC chat application. It also includes tools for web developers, such as the DOM Inspector and the JavaScript Debugger.

Update: Download completion notification is not on by default - it can be enabled by choosing "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu, and checking the box(es) at the bottom of the "Downloads" pane (in the "Navigator" section).

Posted by CTho at September 15, 2005 5:39 PM

Comments

Idea for the Logo: a Surfing Monkey

no, i'm not an artist

Posted by: dael at September 18, 2005 2:30 PM

Hi!
First of all, great job! My only gripe is that my theme doesn't work (I know, but it bothers me anyway) with this release, other than that it's been fast and working very smoothly.

I'm wondering though, will you be working to make extension installing compatible with the Firefox way of handling that or is it more than just the installer that would need work? All I really know is that the Firefox crowd gets most of the goodies nowadays. ;)

Posted by: grimman at September 19, 2005 3:48 AM

Congratulations! Nice to see the suite going on :-).

I haven't tried the alpha release yet, but as I see in bugzilla there is still one annoying bug, known to me a long time ago:

In a few words chatzilla doesn't follow the proxy settings. I have both an http and a socks proxy and chatzilla can't connect.
Though this could be done via the http proxy, it should be at least doable via the socks proxy. IMHO this bug should be marked blocking for the 1.0 release.

Thanks in advance

Posted by: jimis at September 19, 2005 4:25 AM

Umm... Slashdot sez there were supposed to be screenshots here. Are/were there any?

Posted by: Lemi4 at September 19, 2005 7:06 AM

Have you folks thought about using Growl (http://growl.info) for notifications on os x?

Posted by: Chris at September 19, 2005 8:11 AM

How can I download Seamonkey's theme and apply it to Firefox?

Posted by: Dalai at September 19, 2005 11:38 AM

Is it just me or is "Sea Monkey" a stupid name?

Posted by: Eric Coleman at September 19, 2005 9:39 PM

Great Job ! This SeaMonkey release fixed my last Mozilla 1.8b bugs (such as image display bugs) while being as fast - or faster - (display, back/forward) as Firefox without some bugs of Firefox (download crashes). All I was expecting. A great, long awaited release ! Keep on !

Posted by: Jérôme Beau at September 20, 2005 2:57 PM

I have d/l'd and installed SeaMonkey 1.0a and have not been successful in opening any or SVG samples.

For example the following example from the Canvas Tutorial on devmo only shows a rectangle not the example.

Is there a switch I need to set? What am I missing here. I was under the impression that SeaMonkey would support everything that FireFox 1.5 did as they are both using GRE 1.8. Where have I gone wrong.

Posted by: Tom Clowers at September 21, 2005 2:11 PM

yeah, could be better names than seamonkey. seems to made logo/icon difficult. i haven't looked over all the logo submits, but i suppose an unusually challenging burden (the name) can lead to a 'lightning stroke of genius' logo :-)

Posted by: splib at September 30, 2005 12:36 AM

causes SU to download PP and then spin forever. An incorrect "hashValue"

Posted by: young boy at December 27, 2005 4:15 AM