Today I decided to finally bite the bullet and set up X to let me enter Russian (mostly for e-mail purposes). Surprisingly enough, this was not as hard as I had expected—the HOWTOs and other documentation have gotten a lot better since the last time I considered this endeavor (3 years ago or so).
The time breakdown for this was as follows:
Somehow, the whole procedure recalled freshman year in college in my mind. Might have had something to do with the amount of time I spent back then configuring things like mail readers, window managers, X, emacs...
Next project: find time for my annual search for a tool that converts TeX to MathML. The gotchas here are that it needs to deal
with the various AMS packages, with things defined via
\newtheorem, and with things defined via
\newcommand (though I'll settle for just one or the other if both
are not supported). Oh, and dealing with
\newenvironment would be
a nice bonus. (Unlike some, I do not indulge in
\let much, so it's ok if those are not handled very well...) If
you know of such a beast, please let me know.