December 20, 2011

Sustainability at Mozilla: Firefox Desktop Search and Google

I know some of you all have been reading crazy press articles about how Google's going to quit paying Mozilla for Firefox search traffic and I understand that's been unsettling to folks.

This is just a quick note to say that you don't need to worry. Google loves Firefox search traffic and Mozilla gets a really solid revenue stream from that. Because it's such a good relationship for both parties, Mozilla and Google have come together for a great new 3+ year agreement that keeps Google as the Firefox desktop default search service in most geographies and ensures that Mozilla's going to have the income to make even stronger investments in the Open Web going forward.

You can read the official Mozilla Blog post here: Mozilla and Google Sign New Agreement for Default Search in Firefox

Posted by asa at 11:19 AM

reactions, thoughts, comments, etc.

Most? But not where?

Posted by: fluid | December 20, 2011 11:55 AM

Russia, Yandex and China, Bidau for example.

Posted by: kbrosnan | December 20, 2011 12:00 PM

"I understand that's been unsettling to folks"

Not the deal, or claims that there wouldn't be one, it's been the bullshit Mozilla/Firefox bashing/hateful ones that have been unsettling and have pissed me off.

"With Chrome Ascendant, Mozilla Is a Dead Man Walking"
"Is Mozilla's Firefox Browser Finished?"
"And Has Google Now Killed Off Firefox"
"Firefox May Already Be Dead "
"Is Firefox toast"

Most of those pertained to, or at least mentioned the deal.

I just don't understand the hate.
Someone recently wrote this in the comments on a ZDnet article.
"Is there a video on YouTube showing Mozillians punching kittens or something? What am I missing?"

Ok, it was me.

Posted by: Ken Saunders | December 20, 2011 4:34 PM

Can someone please explain to me how does funding from a major competitor accounting for more than 85% of your revenue make for a good example of sustainability?

Posted by: Xeraph | December 21, 2011 3:10 AM

"Bing does have a better privacy policy than Google."

- Asa Dotzler, December 10 2009

"I've always assumed that Google cared a great deal about privacy so I've been uneasy about all of my data they have but still willing to make that trade off for a great search experience. But that changed when the CEO of the company made statements that made me think that not only did he not care a great deal about privacy, but that he didn't even understand it."

- Asa Dotzler, December 11 2009

"It's been a little over a year since I made the switch to Bing and today I'm very happy with the change.

I switched to Bing because they have a much better privacy policy than Google and not because I thought they had better search results.

I'll admit that I still found myself going back to Google every once in a while for the first few months. But three things changed in 16 months since I made the choice to get out of Google and I rarely ever need them any more."

- Asa Dotzler, April 16 2011

Values are often tossed aside when it comes to money.

Posted by: Derek Morgan | December 24, 2011 5:26 PM